Name:
Location: Crystal Palace, London, United Kingdom

I want to make my living as a writer and I want to write about things that have some bearing on my day-to-day living experience, like food, travel, funny observations or perhaps any observations. If you have happened upon my blog, like it, and are in a position to give me a job as a writer, please, please do at least give it some consideration.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Since October 29th



I cannot believe that I left my job with Bromley on October 29th 2008 and since then (I write this on January 27th 2009) I have been traveling and saying goodbyes and saying hellos and reconnecting with fair Minneapolis. The last 3 months have been a seriously beautiful dream come true for me filled with the joy of freedom and new experience as well as the feelings of loss and longing that comes with the territory of leaving a place one has lived from 3+ years. The whole thing has been momentus and I urge everyone who can to save and scrimp and take some time away from the rat race (1 month, 2 months, 6 months - next time I'm shooting for a year!) to experience, enjoy, consider and plan for the next thing. I feel amazing. Of course, I could not be doing this without the support of my sister, who is letting me act as her domestic in return for rent. That allows something that would otherwise be 2 months of travel to extend to 4 months, two of travel and two of trying to make something of myself in a new and exciting way.



To recap: On October 29th I left for Scotland, sweet Scotland. Already I long for Scotland. It was important for me to revisit the land of my ancestors and say my goodbyes. Edinburgh gave me men in kilts, beautiful views, walking paths slick just after a rain and mysterious buildings that inspire billion dollar fairy tales. My last night in Edinburgh, I happened upon a busy pub on the high street that I hadn't gone into the first time I visited the city. I had the best hot toddie of my life in that joint. It was the whiskey no doubt, but they also made it with clove stuck orange. Beautiful. I had two.













Next stop, Inverness, the capital of the Highlands. I loved this little town. It was quaint but bustling. I ate Cullen Skink, I bought some tartan, although not the pattern of my family clan, I wandered the river walk at dusk and little streets that lead me to a breathtaking view in the early morning light. I visited Loch Ness while I was in the area and hoped against hope that Nessie would show up for me (she didn't!?), I really just had the best time. Inverness is a definite recommend to those who are Scotland bound.






















I went back through Edinburgh on my way home to London, and then on to York, where I spent the day shopping, drinking tea and eating scones, admiring the architecture and outside art, and just loving up the UK and feeling thankful that I got to live three years of my life there.




















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home