Name:
Location: Crystal Palace, London, United Kingdom

I want to make my living as a writer and I want to write about things that have some bearing on my day-to-day living experience, like food, travel, funny observations or perhaps any observations. If you have happened upon my blog, like it, and are in a position to give me a job as a writer, please, please do at least give it some consideration.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

The low down on Lisbon



Let me start from the end on this one. I spent two nights and two full days in lovely Lisbon and her surroundings. This picture captures my last hours before flying back to London. The photo was taken at a beach about 45 minutes by train from Lisbon. It's in a total beachy town called Cascais. The weather was hot. I was unprepared. I brought nothing for the beach, but that didn't stop me from sunbathing (as if I don't look old enough) and, as it turns out, sunburning.




This shot is a view common to anyone who lives in or loves my favorite Lisbon neighborhood - Barrio Alta (or something close to that) It's really where I should be living. The only issue is the language barrier. Well, that and everything practical. Actually, the only reason I should live there is because I loved it so much, and it felt really easy and comfortable and like I should be living there. That's probably more about my ethnocentric presumptions and sense of entitlement than anything substantial. Still, love is rarely practical and I'm not convinced that it can ever be substantiated. Actually, if I'm honest, I am rarely practical and I think substantiating is highly over rated. Feelings. Now that's where it's at.


Yeah, that's right. The buildings are tiled and amazing.
mmm hmmm, views of a variety of stunning sorts are everywhere.











Buildings are beautifully old and artfully stacked.
Bands play live for free in the middle of the square - or maybe they just did that because they knew I was coming to Lisbon to celebrate my birthday.


Bull fighting happens every Thursday night. I got there a day too late to subject myself to the experience. A blessing mostly, but I do wonder about it. It's a hugely significant cultural thing in some places. I wonder if crying is frowned upon during the bull fights. Are they called bull fights?

I like the ceramic bulls. Everyone is nice and safe and happy and such.








Fishing seemed popular. When I see such celebration around the fishing I think of my dad. He lives for it. If he lived in Lisbon he would fish off the pier with multiple lines. Heaven for some, confusing for others.








And the monastery. During my travels I have had the privilege of visiting a few. I'm not sure if this is the most beautiful of all that I've seen, but it was close. I am sure I could do monastery living for a while. The serenity, even with loads of tourists milling about, is palpable. And I don't even buy the doctrine. :)



I do wish I had more time, more money, and perhaps a bit more motivation/organization. If I did have all of those things, Lisbon would be on the top of my must travel to more than once list. I really did love it. I really would live there. It's a me city and proved to be the perfect springboard to jump into my very last year as a 30 something. My 30s. Wow. What a decade, and it isn't near over yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home