Name:
Location: Crystal Palace, London, United Kingdom

I want to make my living as a writer and I want to write about things that have some bearing on my day-to-day living experience, like food, travel, funny observations or perhaps any observations. If you have happened upon my blog, like it, and are in a position to give me a job as a writer, please, please do at least give it some consideration.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Malaysia was not what I expected from South East Asia

I don't know what I expected from Malaysia exactly - but I clearly expected something as I was surprised every place we went someplace new.

This is my very good friend Steve. He lives in Malaysia and was generous in his willingness to play host to Caroline and I during our visit to him.
We started in the former capital of Malaysia and Steve's hometown, Johor Bahru. The pic of Steve and Caroline eating regular looking noodles is deceiving. Steve and his whole family visit this eating establishment more than weekly. Steve calls the proprietor Uncle and he takes good care of Steve by ensuring that he eats, on a regular basis, the best noodles in the world. I really think so. They look like noodles but they taste like special, impossible to recreate, secret recipe noodles.



After JB, Steve took us to a beautiful resort on the South China Sea for a few days, and the he sadly returned home to work and Caroline and I went to visit a little, beautiful, warm water island called Pulau Besar. There were no shops, no roads, no nuthin on the island except monkeys we never saw, pythons that kept to themselves, lots of insects, maybe 7 or so resorts, and beautiful beaches, the warmest ocean ever and impressive snorkeling right there, just out from our villa. We were meant to be there for 2 nights and 3 days, but we kept extending and extending and were there 5 days in total. It was relaxing, we were pampered by the proprietor of the place - a lovely man called Jasbeer, the food was good and the experience was just what we wanted, except for not seeing the monkeys. That was a drag. That said, I did see several during the various drives we took from here to there around Malaysia, so that made me happy. I love the monkeys.
















Caroline and I then went to Malacca, a cute town full of architecture that reflects it's interesting and varied history of colonization. The pic on the far left is the hotel we stayed in while there. It was so beautiful, and cost about as much as one would except to pay for a Super 8 in the middle of nowhere USA. It was amazing value for money. The fountains were beautiful, the shops were interesting and plentiful and we found some decent eats here too.

After Malacca, C and I took a bus to Malaysia's capital city, Kuala Lumpur. A town that wrapped it's energy right around me pulling me toward a long term commitment. I have added KL to my list of must-live places. It's a buzzing place full of the most amazing markets, restaurants, people, buildings, temples, just everything. It's a town with the most amazing everything. :) Even the rain storm we got caught in was amazing. Big fat drops of warm warm rain - a lovely opportunity for walking in the rain. Caroline in her innovative glory got creative with head cover. I was barely able to walk I was laughing so hard.




Steve was such a thoughtful host. He spends a lot of time in KL, but he doesn't really like all that "regular living" so suited to Caroline and myself. Steve is a fan of air conditioning, fine dining, avoiding public transport by favoring cabs, that sort of thing. But knowing me like he does, he asked his friend Clara to show C and I around KL. Good heavens was she a dream come true. She took us to her food haunts where I had cold coffee served on ice in a bag that was so good I wanted more and more and more. She brought us to food markets, stuff markets, the biggest knock off label market I have ever been to in my entire life. Oh yeah, I bought stuff. It was one of those life experiences where one walks away knowing they are changed and for the better, but it's hard to say exactly how. I feel different. Better in someway.













We ended our trip with a pretty drive back to JB, and a little time in Singapore. I did like Singapore, but it wasn't Kuala Lumpur. No.

The last picture you see is of Steve, Caroline Steve's niece and myself, along with the rest of Steve's family who are not in the photo but were sharing an amazing 7 (at least) course meal
at a posh Chinese restaurant in Singapore. It was a gift from Steve's sister and it falls into my top 10 life food experiences thus far. Easily. Maybe top 5. Actually yes, it's in my top 5. I ate so many things I had never tried before. Yep, I tried to be brave and it served me well during this dinner. It was all beautiful. The country, the opportunity to spend time with Steve and meet his family, the opportunity to holiday with Caroline, the people we met along the way. I more often than not fall in love with wherever I am in one way or another and for one reason or another, but rarely has it been as comprehensive as my fall for Malaysia and KL. It happened to me in Scotland, in Italy and now in Malaysia. What a life. I am so lucky.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home